La fille dans la laverie

Je sais qu’ici, à GeekZone, on est entre gens cultivés et qu’il est sans doute inutile de vous rappeler qui est le Dr. Horrible. Vous avez déjà probablement maté ses mésaventures une bonne dizaine de fois et il est fort probable que certains d’entre vous en connaissent les répliques par cœur (j’ai les noms). Mais pour les autres, les distraits ou ceux qui auraient oublié d’allumer leur Internet ces dernières semaines, une rapide piqûre de rappel s’impose…

Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along-Blog est une mini-série pour le web, produite et réalisée par Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly et bientôt Dollhouse), co-écrite avec ses deux frangins Zack et Jed, et la fiancée de ce dernier, Maurissa Tancharoen. Découpée en trois épisodes d’un quart d’heure, la série nous conte les mésaventures d’un « super villain » un peu gauche (Neil Patrick Harris) aux prises avec un super-héros prétentieux et relativement antipathique (Nathan Fillion).

Et pour faire honneur à ce qui sera sans conteste le « buzz » de l’année, on a eu envie de tailler un peu le bout de gras avec l’actrice principale de cet improbable carton, Felicia Day, « slayerette » dans la dernière saison de Buffy mais également productrice d’une autre web-série qui cartonne, The Guild.

Voici donc, rien que pour vous, le compte-rendu de ce petit entretien exclusif, en version originale pour le moment. Je m’occupe de la traduction française dès que j’en aurai fini avec ce poil qui me grattouille la paume.

PS : L’interview est à la suite. Attention, ça spoile.

Hello Felicia !

First of all, thanks a lot for doing this, I know you must be pretty backed up right now. Alright, on with the questions from the guys at GeekZone.fr, in no particular order…

How did you get the job for Dr. Horrible? Did Joss know about The Guild and was that the reason why he decided to cast you?

Yes, Joss had seen The Guild, and it definitely contributed to my casting. We had discussed my show and his nascent plans for an « internet superhero musical » on the WGA strike line in October. Later, in February or so, I received an email from him out of the blue saying, « Can you sing? » Needless to say I said, « Yes! »

How much did you put in your character? Was everything scripted from the beginning or did you get the chance to add your own input?

I believe everything spoken on-screen was sprung from the brilliant collective mind of Joss, Jed and Zach Whedon and Jed’s fiancée Maurissa Tancheroen. They wrote « Horrible » together and seamlessly created what we are enjoying today. I just tried to ground Penny in reality and be natural in the role. Penny is the straight-woman in a fantastic world, and it was such a joy to travel in her footsteps through the script.

I know Joss Whedon has a reputation of offing most of his beloved characters but we were pretty shocked (in a good way) by the ending. It started as a light and funny thing and ended up in a dark place. Were you as shocked as we were about it? What was your first reaction? Do you think he decided to kill Penny because he didn’t get to off Vi in Chosen (Buffy)? :smiley:

Ha! Vi is the head of the Manhattan Slayers now, don’t you read the comic! You better watch your questions! :crying: When I read the script, the moment Penny died I was in tears myself. It was a beautiful arc to enable Dr. Horrible to achieve his « horribleness ». And as an actor a good death scene is the biggest challenge and joy. I love that it was captured on film and I’ll always be proud of it. I think the controversy it started within the fan community was verification of how perfect a choice it was. Without controversy there is no challenge and with no challenge there is no art. That sounded smart, didn’t it, haha!

It pretty much did, yeah. :stuck_out_tongue: So, what’s the future for Dr. Horrible? Another web series? A movie? World domination?

I don’t know, the word « sequel » has been thrown around by Joss and Co. a lot, but nothing is definite. I’m crossing my fingers, being a part of this phenomenon has been such a joy!

The Internet allows anyone now to produce and put out their own thing, regardless if it’s music, writings or even movies. But on the downside, doesn’t it also mean that it’s getting more and more difficult for anybody to stand out of the crowd? In the music business for example (which is my « thing »), I find it harder and harder to sort out all the new releases because there are so many. What’s your take on this? Can you really make a living out of a web show?

It’s not easy, I certainly don’t make a living at it. I think in a few years we’ll see web content become more viable as a career, but right now it’s still developing. With Dr Horrible, I believe Joss is revolutionizing that though. I would say know going in that it won’t be your living, but making content now is a great way to be on the cutting edge and refine your skills.

What advices could you give to someone who wants to start his own show but is too afraid to do so or doesn’t know where to start?

I would say do your research. There are great podcasts on doing independent filmmaking, and if you can, volunteer to work on other people’s sets to get a feel of how it should be done. Work for free to learn firsthand. Then make sure you’re telling a story that is unique to you, don’t try to please other people or you’ll be too generic.

How’s season 2 of The Guild coming up by the way? One of my friends (who’s a big WoW player) liked it but felt a bit disappointed that it was not really aimed at WoW players. Do you agree? Was it a deliberate choice?

I deliberately chose to not be specific about the game in the show for copyright reasons primarily, but I think it was definitely the right way to go. Being neutral with the game forces me as a writer to focus on the characters, not on the in-game jokes. I am currently writing season 2 and having a blast. We hope to be shooting in September with full funding.

There seems to be a lot of interest for the geek community lately: people like Joss Whedon of course, but also Kevin Smith, websites, TV shows like The Big Bang Theory, The IT Crowd, etc. Is being geek the new cool thing?

I feel like the internet is really taking over how we get our media, and the people who know that area best, the « early adopters » are in power more than they have been in a while. To me, being geek was always cool though. :cry:

I feel you. :slight_smile: Still on the geeky side: what are the top 5 bookmarks in your browser?

Twitter, Google Reader, PopURLS, The Guild Website, and Cute Overload for smiles.

What’s next for you? Any other projects besides The Guild that we should know about?

I’m appearing in House in a Guest Starring role this September, and other than that I’m looking for my next project, along with doing The Guild. I also have another web project I’m working on that’s still in the development stages.

We’ll keep an eye on that! Well, that’s it! Again, thanks a million for doing this! And good luck with your future projects! Keep us posted!

Site officiel: http://feliciaday.net/

omagad !

Dites les gars, mais comment avez vous fait ? Ce sont les 6 degrés de séparation qui ont fonctionnés ou le charme de notre cher Faskil ?

Par élimination : réponse 1.

:slight_smile:

Suis fan depuis la saison 7 de buffy… et m’est avis qu’on risque de plus en plus de voir la demoiselle.

Merci Fask pour l’interview !

HA BEN MERCI! :slight_smile:
Donc, non, c’est la réponse 3 : la débrouillardise. :crying:

[quote=« Faskil, post:6, topic: 38011 »]HA BEN MERCI! :slight_smile:
Donc, non, c’est la réponse 3 : la débrouillardise. :crying:[/quote]
Tu parles, tu lui as fait écouté un remix, la musique c’est « my ‹ thing › ». Flambeur va.
Sinon, bien content et merci à elle pour répondre aux questions (et à toi Fask’ pour les poser, j’ai même eu la mienne, woohoo).

Excellent, i’m in love (pas de Fask hein (surtout depuis qu’il a des cheveux) mais de notre chère demoiselle).
Je sais pas si c’est mon coté love mais je lui trouve une grande lucidité et une grande douceur, j’ai hâte de la voir dans son prochain projet web.

Ah, merci merci. Trop bien cette série! Je crois que dans dix ans on se souviendra encore de ce “it’s my penis”…

Excellent l’interview, bravo Fask’ et je n’espère qu’une chose la suite de Dr Horrible !

Now, the nightmare is real… Now, Dr Horrible is here… To make you quake with fear !

Bon, son site web a l’air dans les choux. Probablement une des conséquences de la Comic Con. La faute à Penny Arcade, en fait, qui a eu la bonne idée de la linker. Les lourds. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:
Elle a lu les comics de Buffy

J’ai pas pu voir cette web série (ca saccadait beaucoup sur mon PC) mais c’est génial d’avoir réussi à faire une interview. Faskil GG.
(il a du la charmer avec une musique d’ascenseur hypnotique :))

Merci ! Maintenant, votre mission, c’est de la linker partout, sur tous les sites de geeks où vous trainez ! :slight_smile:

Edit : oh, et pour ceux qui l’aurait loupé… Free viewing returns!

Ainsi qu’un acte 4 bien plus tard ( \o/ ) et la BO dans une semaine et demie (yay aussi, donnez des sous).

Source pour la BO ? Parce qu’aux dernières nouvelles, c’était « soon, but not very soon ».

Ok, source : Comic Con. Donc, Whedon a dit « devrait être dispo dans deux semaines », cool. Espérons que ce ne soit pas limité aux US si ça passe par iTunes (ce qui risque d’être probablement le cas).

http://www.mpamh.org/

Quel geek. :slight_smile:

Un grand bravo Faskil, sincerement

et pour ceux qui ont loupé, j’ai pas eu le courage de lire toutes les réponses, voila un lien valable encore : http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog

Héhé, oui Jo, j’en avais parlé. Ça ne dure que quelques jours par contre, donc ne trainez pas.

Et sinon, la boucle est bouclée : http://doctorhorrible.net/felicia-day-at-geekzone/195/. Merci aux gens du fanblog pour le lien. :slight_smile:

Pourquoi je te vois en blouse blanche « Mouahahahahah, nul ne peut m’arrêter, le monde est à moi ». :crying: